GAR is devoted to ensuring that Akron children are kindergarten ready and Akron Public Schools students are experiencing high-quality teaching and engaged learning.
Our Early Childhood Education Strategies
- Support high-quality, culturally relevant childcare and PreK initiatives that help children become ready for kindergarten.
- Support statewide advocacy efforts to help connect public resources to local needs.
- Lead collaborative planning for universal PreK with local partners.
Our K-16 Strategies
- Support conditions for healthy learning, student social-emotional well-being, safety, and extended learning for Akron Public Schools students.
- Support great teaching and learning through the Educator Initiative Grant program.
- Support the development of College and Career Academies of Akron.
- Help our local universities to retain students and to remove financial obstacles from their path.
College & Career Academies of Akron
The College and Career Academies of Akron is a PreK-12th grade transformation that supports a different educational experience for the students in the Akron Public Schools.
Students visit one of seven local cultural and historical organizations to participate in custom-designed educational programming directly connected to classroom learning.
Out-of-School Time Network
Akron is on the cusp of a new and bold vision for connected, engaged and fun extended learning after school, on the weekends, and in the summer for our community’s youth.
STARS: Supporting Teachers & Ready Students
STARS supports local childcare centers, demonstrating how effective coaching and training could help improve educational attainment for young children.